The March 2014 issue of the free Radio Astronomy Group publication RAGazine is now available for download.
This issue includes:
– RAG 2014 Meeting, Leicester
– Book review: “Space Has No Frontier”
– VLF quarterly observing report
– Brief note on the comparison of bright meteors
– Engineering maths, and more
– Frequency ranges
– The state of flux – an Arduino based magnetometer
– Jansky’s seminal paper that started RA
– Intro. to radio objects that can be detected by the amateur radio astronomer: Part 1
– Technology watch
– Solar flare
The publication by the British Astronomical Association Radio Astronomy Group (BAA-RAG) can be downloaded now from
Back editions of RAGazine are available at http://www.britastro.org/radio/downloads.html
Join the BAA-RAG Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baa-rag
FUNcube Dongle Pro+ Software Defined Radio
Dr David Morgan has released a new paper “Further Developments of an SDR Radio Telescope” using the FUNcube Dongle Pro+ and SpectrumLab.
“Further Developments of an SDR Radio Telescope” details the equipment configuration and software involved in setting to work a small 3m diameter amateur radio telescope using the FUNcube Dongle Pro+ software defined radio receiver.
It demonstrates how Spectrum Lab can provide digital filtering to observe up to 20 individual sub-bands to help overcome interference issues. David also provides details of gain and noise stability measurements for the FUNcube Dongle and observations of emissions from the quiet Sun and the Cygnus arm of the Milky Way.
This paper adds to the work that David has undertaken in the past and is interesting reading for anyone wanting to experiment with SDR solutions for amateur radio astronomy.
Paul Hyde G4CSD
BAA RAG Coordinator
Download the paper from http://www.britastro.org/radio/downloads/Further_Developments_SDR_Telescope.pdf
BAA RAG website http://www.britastro.org/radio/
Join the BAA RAG Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baa-rag
FUNcube Dongle Pro+ Yahoo Group https://amsat-uk.org/funcube/funcube-dongle-sdr/
FUNcube Dongle Pro+ SDR http://www.FUNcubeDongle.com/
The BAA Radio Astronomy Group (BAA-RAG) have an impressive line-up of speakers for their General Meeting taking place Saturday, October 27, 10:30 to 17:30 at the National Space Centre, Leicester, LE4 5NS. The event is open to all.
There will be two talks on the AMSAT-UK FUNcube Dongle VHF/UHF Software Defined Radio (SDR) at the BAA Radio Astronomy Group (RAG) meeting on Saturday, November 12 at 10:30am in The Humfrey Rooms, Castilian Terrace, Northampton, NN1 1LD.
• Tony Abbey will talk about his experiences of using the AMSAT-UK FUNcube Dongle – a software defined radio receiver. Subject to orbital timings, he will be demonstrating reception from a satellite as it passes overhead using a hand held antenna and laptop.
• Dr David Morgan will describe how the FUNcube Dongle raises the prospect of amateurs being able to put together a low-cost radio telescope.
Tickets for the main event are £15 (£12 for BAA members) to include tea, coffee and a buffet lunch, or £10/£7 without the lunch. To obtain a ticket see http://www.britastro.org/radio/
Meeting flyer and map http://www.britastro.org/radio/downloads/RAGGM_detailsv4.pdf
The impressive line-up of speakers can be seen at http://www.britastro.org/radio/
Join the BAA RAG Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baa-rag
Join the FUNcube Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FUNcube
OSCAR News is published quarterly by AMSAT-UK and posted to members. To get your copy join AMSAT-UK online at http://tinyurl.com/JoinAMSAT-UK/
Free sample issue at http://www.uk.amsat.org/on_193_final.pdf