The popular ICQ Amateur Radio Podcast has been running for over 11 years and on August 4, 2019, the ICQ Podcast team released their 300th edition which features an interview with Treasurer and Past President of AMSAT Keith Baker KB1SF.
The first edition of ICQ Podcast was released by Father and Son team Martin Butler M1MRB and Colin Butler M6BOY on July 6, 2008 and since those early days the show has gone from strength to strength.
Released fortnightly on a Sunday at 0900 GMT the ICQ Podcast is available either as an MP3 download or as a YouTube version with optional auto-generated subtitles.
In the 300th edition, Martin Butler M1MRB is joined by Chris Howard M0TCH, Dan Romanchik KB6NU and Frank Howell K4FMH to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news and this episode’s special feature is the interview with AMSAT’s Keith Baker KB1SF which begins at 1:10:30 into the show.
ICQ Podcast Episode 300 with AMSAT Treasurer and Past President Keith Baker KB1SF
ICQ Podcast https://www.icqpodcast.com/
Keith Baker KB1SF https://twitter.com/kb1sf
Martin Butler M1MRB https://twitter.com/M1MRB
Colin Butler M6BOY https://twitter.com/colinbutler
Chris Howard M0TCH https://twitter.com/m0tch_chris
Dan Romanchik KB6NU https://twitter.com/kb6nu
Frank Howell K4FMH https://twitter.com/frankmhowell
Videos of the talks given at the 2019 CubeSat Developers Workshop held at Cal Poly Performing Arts Center, San Luis Obispo, CA during April 23–25 are now on YouTube.
Schedule of presentations
Watch the videos at
PDF Slides are in the CubeSat Developers Workshop Archive
Videos of the presentations given at the 2018 William A. Tynan W3XO Memorial Space Symposium in Huntsville, Alabama, on Friday/Saturday November 2/3 are now available
Schedule of symposium presentations https://www.amsat.org/call-for-papers/
Watch Friday, November 2
Watch Saturday, November 3
CAMSAT has released details of three new amateur radio satellites, CAS-5A, CAS-5B and CAS-6, that are hoped to launch in September 2018. Two of the satellites CAS-5A and CAS-6 will carry transponders.
CAS-5A a 6U CubeSat which will include the following capabilities:
• HF/HF – H/T Mode Linear Transponder
• HF/UHF – H/U Mode Linear Transponder
• HF – CW Telemetry Beacon
• VHF/UHF – V/U Mode Linear Transponder
• VHF/UHF – V/U Mode FM Transponder
• UHF – CW Telemetry Beacon
• UHF – AX.25 4.8k/9.6k Baud GMSK Telemetry.
The transponders will have 30 kHz bandwidths except the H/U one which will be 15 kHz. Planning a launch in September 2018 from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center into a 539×533 km 97.5 degree orbit.
CAS-5B a femto-satellite architecture 90Lx80Wx50H mm with a mass of 0.5kg Proposing a UHF CW beacon and to be deployed from CAS-5A when in space.
CAS-6 a 50 kg micro satellite approx 490 x 499 x 430 mm. It will include:
• VHF CW Telemetry Beacon
• U/V Mode 20 kHz Linear Transponder
• AX.25 4.8k baud GMSK telemetry downlink
• Deployable Antennas
• Solar Panels, Lithium ion battery and power controller
• Integrated Housekeeping Unit
• Three-axis stabilization system
• Atmospheric Wind detector
• S-band TT&C system (non-amateur radio band)
• X-band Data link system (non-amateur radio band)
Planning a Sea Launch Pad from the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology in September 2018 into a 579 x 579 km 45 degree orbit.
IARU Satellite Frequency Coordination Status http://www.amsat.org.uk/iaru/
Emily Calandrelli KD8PKR with her new Ada Lace book
Ada Lace, Take Me to Your Leader is a new book written for young people by Emily Calandrelli KD8PKR that features amateur radio and space communications.
Ada is an 8-year-old with a knack for science, mathematics, and solving mysteries with technology. Her latest project is to fix up a ham radio, something that she could use to contact people on this planet and beyond.
The book is available on Amazon at http://amzn.to/2DbKt9L
Emily Calandrelli KD8PKR
What is Amateur Radio? http://www.essexham.co.uk/what-is-amateur-radio
Find a UK amateur radio training course near you https://thersgb.org/services/coursefinder/
Free online amateur radio Foundation course https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/
E-members of AMSAT-UK can now download the Spring 2018 edition of OSCAR News here.
This edition describes how to make contacts through amateur radio satellites using your 144/430 MHz FM handheld transceiver and has an update on the satellites carrying FUNcube SSB/CW linear transponders.
The paper edition should be sent to postal members in 2-3 weeks.
In this issue:
• From the Secretary’s Keyboard
• 2018 Meetings & Events calendar
• News Roundup
• Work FM Satellites with your HT!
• Parasitic Quadrifilar Helical Antenna
• AMSATS AND HAMSATS – Amateur Radio and other small satellites
• Orbital Dynamics – Seen in the Times Newspaper
• Columbus – 10 years in Space
• A cold day for a nice array
• FM Satellites: Good operating practices for beginning and experienced operators
• Travelling and activating satellites
• EO88/Nayif-1 birthday
• Getting rid of some of the rubbish!
• Rotator problems
• AMSAT-UK 2016-2017 – Statement of Accounts
• Connectors for Az/El rotators
• Thinking Day On The Air with GB5WDG
• Information from the Orbital Debris Quarterly News
• Stop Press: Space Industry Bill – Royal Assent
AMSAT-UK FUNcube Mission Patch
Membership of AMSAT-UK is open to anyone who has an interest in amateur radio satellites or space activities, including the International Space Station (ISS).
E-members of AMSAT-UK are able to download OSCAR News as a convenient PDF that can be read on laptops, tablets or smartphones anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Join as an E-member at Electronic (PDF) E-membership
PDF sample copy of “Oscar News” here.
Join AMSAT-UK using PayPal, Debit or Credit card at
E-members can download their copies of OSCAR News here.